Friday, July 4, 2008

HER/2 Receptor positive

I also found out yesterday, during the chemo clinic, that the doctor had gotten back the test to check the tumor to see if it is HER/2 receptor positive (I think I am saying that correctly). It is. The good news is that just in the last couple of years, Genentech has come up with an amazing medication that blocks the HER/2 receptors, so instead of being really bad news, the medication has a very high success rate and makes this diagnosis not that big of a deal anymore. Kathleen explained it by saying that a tumor that is not HER/2 receptive is like a refrigerator magnet that attracts whatever it is that makes the cancer cells multiply (she knew the name of what it attracts, I can't remember), a HER/2 receptor positive tumor is like a magnet that can pick up a car. The medicine, Herceptin, goes directly to those receptors and blocks them...hallelujah!

Practically, and this part is not so good, this means that they will need to add herceptin to the chemo therapy. Right about the middle of my 24 week chemo regimen, they will start giving me herceptin. They infuse it every week for a year, it takes about an hour each time. That was a little overwhelming to hear also. I was hoping to finish up treatment in Spring 09, this will extend it through all or most of next year.

Again, thank you for praying for healing, this is one journey I would really rather not take. I must say though, my compassion level that was already pretty high just continues to rise for those who endure sickness and suffering. It makes me ask God all the more earnestly that He would release His healing miracles in the Earth through His Church and through me. I know more than ever that divine healing is the way to go!

1 comment:

marelind said...

Thank you, Lord for providing the Herceptin. We ask that You, in your gracious love and mercy, would pass this cup from Leslyn.