Saturday, July 19, 2008

Genetic Testing -- BRAC Analysis

Thursday, my wonderful sister, Lisa, and I went to see Kathleen (the same nurse I raved about who did the chemo clinic) for a genetic counseling session. Several people in our immediate and extended family have had cancer, including both of our dear parents who have gone to be with the Lord.

Lisa and I had both been thinking about the benefits of me getting tested to see if there is a genetic component to this cancer or not. After talking with her and Ron, I decided to pursue it.

Genetic counseling is required before getting the test done. It was so helpful to understand how the genetic mutation works and is passed along. If I am negative than that will be great news for my siblings, children and relatives; however, if I am positive than everyone will be encouraged to get tested too. The benefit of knowing is access to better and more sensitive screening tests as well as strong incentive to make lifestyle changes like diet, etc., that can help to prevent cancer from occurring. As the saying goes, forewarned is forearmed.

I will get the blood test for the BRAC Analysis on Wednesday but it can take a month or more to get the results back. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

marelind said...

Hi my friend! I pray your faith will not fail as you walk through these tests. What a challenge to be in, but not of, this world, and to live the now, and not yet. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslyn,
Just wanted you to know that I am keeping up with you. I had dinner last week with Helena Hwang and she asked how you were doing. I reminded her she could read your blog. I too had bought a wig...but in the end, I did not need it. My hair thinned -that is also when I started wearing my hair short & spiked. God is your source of strength! Stay strong my friend! Laurie Vervaecke