Friday, September 5, 2008

Thursday was hard

Sorry for the delay in writing, I know several of you have contacted me to find out the update from the meetings with the doctors. I will update that info in the next post. One of the reasons I didn't have it in me to write yesterday is that we had to put one of our dogs down Thursday afternoon.

Wednesday night I noticed that Chad (Hannah's dog, the red brindle miniature doxie, almost 14 yrs old) had what looked like a severely abscessed tooth/teeth that was causing major swelling under his left eye. We took him to the vet as soon as we could after my appointment with the surgeon and the chemo calendar meeting at the oncology office. Chad has been going down hill for awhile and already had a failing heart, liver and kidneys. By the time we got him to the vet, he was running a fever and the infection was getting worse. We all agreed that it was his time. Ron, Hannah and I were with him until the end. It was a VERY hard day for us.

For some of you that are not "dog people" this will not seem like that big of a deal and I can understand. For those who are, you will understand how hard it is to loose a beloved pet. We got Chad when Hannah was in First grade and was really, really sick. Our hope was that he would be a companion for her as she dealt with a chronic, serious illness (she was completely healed at age 13 of a very rare and often deadly disease, but that is another story). As a one year old pup, he seemed to know what his job was from the moment he got to our home. He would spend hours snuggling with Hannah when she was too weak to get up and playing with her when she had the energy. He was a very faithful and sweet dog. We will and do miss him.

5 comments:

marelind said...

Leslyn, I am so, so sorry! My friend, I grieve with you.

PNWGirl said...

I am so sorry to hear that you have lost your sweet baby. My prayers are with you guys.

Linda Driscoll said...

Leslyn,

I grieve with you all. I know how hard it is to see one of your companions that have been a part of your lives for so long not be there. I will be praying for you all during this time.

Also, Leslyn, for the healing process to continue in a excellerated rate before the Chemo and thoughout the treatments.

Love to you all

Colleen said...

Leslyn, I am so sorry for your loss! I know how much Chad was loved by everyone in your family!
Today I was at People Fest praying for people that stopped by our booth. It was a blessing for myself as well as the people that stopped by! YOu are never far from my thoughts, especially when I am ministering, because I learned so much from you! I was thinking today how much of an impact you have made on my life!!!! You are my pastor, teacher, sister in Christ, mentor, and most of all, friend! Even though you are sick at this point, I wanted to remind you that you are still out in that mission field via people like me who you trained in service! Your life has made a TREMENDOUS impact on so many lives, yesterday, today and tomorrow. I will continue to walk with you in prayer and petition and will continue to proclaim God's grace over you and your family! Thank you for allowing us to share this hard time with you, and witness a woman of God battle with grace, integrity and love. I love you my friend! Rest in the presence of the living God.

Prudy said...

Leslyn, So sorry to hear about Chad. I can't even imagine how hard this was for all of you knowing how much each of you loved him. You are all in my prayers.