Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Starting New Chemo Medication on Wed., Dec 31

Tomorrow I begin a new chemo medication called Cytoxan. I have 4 treatments of this drug, given every two weeks for a total of 8 weeks. In two months I will be finished with chemotherapy. Knowing that really helps me to keep pushing forward, even though, honestly, I am dreading tomorrow.

This medication is supposed to make me very sick to my stomach again. Of the three medications that they are giving me during chemo, the first one I took was supposed to be the hardest, the one I just finished was supposed to be the easiest (if that was easy, yikes) and this one is supposed to be in the middle. Harder than the one I just took, but easier than the first one. I must say, the thought that Cytoxan is supposed to be harder than the one I just finished gives me pause... The Lord knows how much I can handle though and I know that He will not give me more than I can bear, so in that I am finding rest and strength to tackle what is before me.

Apparently, this drug, if looked at under a microscope is very spiky. So much so that if the drug stays any length of time in the bladder, it will cause the bladder to bleed. So I am supposed to drink a lot of water and drink a lot just before going to bed tomorrow night so that I wake up during the night. I think my eyes are going to start floating soon!

The most concerning side-effect of the medicine (if the bladder thing was not enough) is that when given with Herceptin (the drug I have infused every week) it can cause permanent heart damage. Would you please pray especially for protection for my heart. Needless to say, I want to come through this with a healthy and strong heart. I am asking the Lord for a full restoration of my health by the time I get to the end of this journey of fighting cancer. I am asking that my heart would be wholly protected throughout my treatment.

I am so grateful for your prayers! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Thank you too for praying for me during Christmas. I know that you were because I did well and was able to enjoy time with family. It was really great.

No comments: