Friday, August 29, 2008

Counting My Blessings

As I have been thinking about the events of the past months I have been struck by how God has blessed me. He truly can work ALL things together for good...

*Though I was really sick for 9 months prior to my diagnosis with cancer, I can see that because I was running that fever and felt so sick, I was determined to find out the cause of my illness. I don't know if we would have found the cancer as soon as we did if I had not been on that journey, particularly because the breast cancer was so diffused that it never did show up on the mammogram, they found it using ultrasound. Leaving no stone unturned, we finally turned over the right one.

*After having the cancer removed from my breast and lymph node, the fever immediately began to leave my body. The first week I had fevers for several days, the second week only a couple of times and for the past TWO weeks, I have been completely fever free! I cannot begin to tell you how much better I feel, even recovering from major surgery feels so much better than feeling like I had a really bad case of the flu ALL the time. Thank you Lord!

*Even the delay in the healing of the surgery site on the left side has turned out to be a blessing. Had the healing process been on schedule, I would have started chemo either last week or this week. Well, this was also the week that Hannah started her first week of homeschool for her senior year of High School. Since the chemo was delayed, I have been able to get her started and put together the lesson plans and schedule for the year so that even when I am not feeling well during treatment, everything is in place to enable me to help her through this year to the best of my ability.

*In some ways, I have wished that we would have found the cancer sooner, but as I have thought about it, I realized the timing was amazing. In hindsight, I am grateful we did not find it until after Karyn finished her first year of college. By finding it in June, I was able to have surgery while Karyn was home and she and Hannah were on summer vacation (especially helpful since I am still homeschooling Hannah.) By having the surgery the end of July, I was able to have recovered enough so that I think it made it a little easier for Karyn to leave again for college. For my mother's heart, that meant a lot to me.

*I have the most amazingly loving and supportive husband that a girl could ever hope to have. Ron has been there for me every moment, he is truly a wonderful man.

*My girls have been right there for me throughout my illness, being very sensitive, supportive, understanding and loving.

*My entire family, siblings, Mom and Pop (Bob and Linda Mahley), even my cousins, aunts and uncles. nieces and nephews, have been amazing, praying, calling, sending cards and letters, checking in on me...very sweet and 100% supportive. You all are so very precious to me.

*My church family and friends have blessed me more than words can express, I am teary just writing this because I am overwhelmed by your love, support, servant's hearts, prayer, friendship, thoughtfulness, steadfastness, and the list goes on and on...

*These are just a few of the many things for which I am thankful and blessed. YOU are definitely on my list!!

4 comments:

Linda Driscoll said...

Hi Leslyn,

I so agree with you His timing just is so beautiful and perfect.
I am, along with many, are so blessed and thankful to have such a humble and godly woman as a co-pastor and a friend.

Here are a few more paraphased scriptures I've been praying over you this week:

Prov.3:5-6,8 (Amp. & NKJ)

LESLYN LEANS ON, TRUSTS IN, AND IS CONFIDENT IN THE LORD WITH ALL OF HER HEART AND MIND AND DOES NOT RELY ON HER OWN INSIGHT OR UNDERSTANDING AND IN ALL OF HER WAYS KNOWS, RECOGNIZES AND ACKNOWLEDGES HIM, AND HE WILL DIRECT AND MAKE STRAIGHT AND PLAIN HER PATHS. IT WILL BE HEALTH TO HER FLESH AND STRENGTH TO HER BONES.

I Thes.5: 24 (Amp.)

FAITHFUL IS HE WHO IS CALLING YOU, LESLYN, TO HIMSELF AND UTTERLY TRUSTWORTHY, AND HE WILL ALSO DO IT FULFILL HIS CALL BY HALLOWING AND KEEPING YOU.

Love you lots, my friend, Linda

marelind said...

We have an awesome, amazing God who is perfectly perfect and perfectly on time. I love how He works in and through all situations.

PNWGirl said...

God's timing is a beautiful and loving thing, so tangible in so many ways. Each and every detail perfectly arranged. Thank you for sharing your journey, it's such a blessing.

I continue to pray for you all.

Unknown said...

Leslyn...You ARE loved SO VERY much! We are rejoicing with you and God's faithfulness to you! May you continue to be overwhelmed and undone by His INCREDIBLE love for you! Reveal to her more and more of Your love Lord! :)