Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Asleep in the Boat

Several people have asked me lately what the Lord is saying to me and where I'm at spiritually. I thought I would share with you a picture the Lord has been giving me. I have been encouraged by it and I hope you are too.

You may recall the story in the Bible (Luke 8:22-25) where Jesus and the disciples get into a boat to cross over the lake. While they were crossing, a huge storm came up and the disciples were freaking out because they were afraid. The waves on that lake can get huge and storms can come up out of nowhere, totally unexpectedly. The boat was on the verge of being swamped, the waves were crashing, the wind was blowing, the storm was raging but Jesus was sound asleep in the back of the boat. Always in the past, the emphasis for me has been on the fact that Jesus got up and calmed the storm, which of course is awesome. But right now, the picture that the Lord has been showing me has a different point.

As I pray, I keep seeing the boat in the midst of the storm, crashing waves, thundering seas, gusting wind and I see me, tucked up next to Jesus, sleeping beside Him in the back of the boat. The picture is of me in perfect peace, not because of circumstances around me but because I am next to Jesus. His arm is over me and we are both peacefully sleeping; because He is at peace, I am at peace.

I have been asking the Lord what I'm supposed to be doing during this time. This picture keeps coming back to me and the simple phrase, "rest and be at peace." So here I am, where I am supposed to be just now, asleep in the boat with Jesus...in the midst of the storm.

4 comments:

Karyn said...

i am so happy that you are able to rest peacefully. that has been my prayer for you during this time, Mommy.

i love you.

Unknown said...

Sweet dreams my dear friend...sweet dreams :)

Linda Driscoll said...

It is truely amazing that HIS peace does transend ALL understanding and goes so deep into our inter most being: spirit to spirit. Thank you for the encouraging words and thinking of us all. You so display the Lord's love!!!! We all need to be reminded of this. I will continue to pray that peace and rest over you, my friend and for your family. Love you lots!!!!

Prudy said...

My friend, Rest and be at peace, that is just what He wants for you. Understanding will come later. Love you and miss you.