Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Starting Herceptin Tomorrow, Thursday, Nov 13

Well, the round of Taxol that I started last week hit me pretty hard. The bone pain was pretty intense and I was very fatigued, hence the lack of updates on the blog. In the case of my blog, no news is not usually good news. Usually, it means that I am not feeling well enough to sit at the computer. The doctor is tweaking my medications so that the next round of chemo should be better.

I won't have the Taxol again until next week, but tomorrow I will start a new medication called Herceptin. You may remember that this is the drug that they are giving me to counter the aggressive nature of the cancer. This is the drug that I will now be taking every week for the next year. So tomorrow the infusion will take about an hour and a half, on the weeks I take Herceptin and Taxol (every other week) the infusion will take about 5 hours.

Please be praying as I begin Herceptin tomorrow. The side effect that is the most serious is possible heart damage including congestive heart failure. I believe that God is able to keep my physical heart just as He keeps my spiritual and emotional heart. Would you pray for His protection over my heart as I take this medication. The inconvenient side effects are flu-like symptoms that include fever and chills that last around 3 days. I am really hoping and asking that I take this drug in stride and that I am not hit by the side effects of it. Herceptin is truly a life-saving drug that I am so thankful to be able to take. It was only released two years ago, so I am feeling very grateful for it.

The infusion begins tomorrow at 9:30Am. Thank you for being with me in prayer. Your willingness to stand with me touches me and my family more deeply than I can express.

1 comment:

terri said...

Dear Leslyn, I am praying for you today friend and for protection over your heart in Jesus'name. Here is a page out of my His Princess devotional book that I hope encourages you today: Isaiah 43:1,2"Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you,I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty,you will not drown!" My Princess...I will heal your heart
Don't get discouraged, My beloved; pain is a part of life. But I promise you that I will turn every tear you've cried into joy, and I will use your deep pain for a divine purpose. Don't try to hide your hurts from Me. I know everything about you. You are Mine, My beloved!I'm the only one who can handle your heart and restore you to health and wholeness again. I,too, have felt great pain, rejection, and anger. But we can go through every trial together. Hand in hand I will lead you back to My place of peace and joy after the storm. The sun will shine on you again, and your heart will be healed. I promise you, My princess, that when you go through deep waters of great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression you will not be burned. Love, Your King and your Healer
I love you Leslyn and will be praying today and over the next few days. love, terri