Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Silicone or Saline-- that is the question

Surgery has been set for early November to have my expanders removed and implants put into my body. I will be very glad when that part of my reconstruction is finally behind me. I have come to find out that "immediate reconstruction" is anything but immediate. It will be a year and four months since my bi-lateral mastectomy and expander placement by the time my implants reach their final dwelling place.

The biggest decision I have to make at this point is to decide between silicone or saline implants. My doctor sent me home with two lengthy brochures to read. I was forewarned that the FDA requires they include every possible thing that can go wrong so that I can make an "informed" decision. I can understand their point, but it is also hard to read and keep fear from creeping in uninvited. I still have not made a decision. There are so many pros and cons that the decision is not an easy one. I would be interested to hear your feedback if you are informed on this subject or have personal experience.

I will keep you posted as I go through this process of deciding. Would you please pray for me for wisdom as I make my decision? Thank you!

2 comments:

Daria said...

I have no experience with implants but I can see how difficult this decision must be.

Thank you for sharing your journey ... I know it must not be easy.

marelind said...

Definitely not as easy as "Paper or plastic?" Praying that as you decide your heavenly Papa will be guiding your process. Love you, my friend.